Tuesday, August 12, 2008

YOU ARE AT CAMP RIGHT? IS IT FUN? I MISS YOU. TEXT ME BACK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AND LET ME KNOW HOW CAMP IS. LOVE, MARISSA
from a 310 phone number, Tuesday, August 12, 8:22 PM

Call me old-fashioned, but I come from a strong tradition of not allowing cell phones at camp. I believe that they interfere with the insular experience that makes summer camp so valuable. I don't know if Marissa's Intended Leila is a camper or a counselor, but, frankly, if she's not the goddamn camp director, I don't think she should have a cell phone in her bunk.

3 comments:

Nemo said...

Any half-decent camp won't have any reception anyway.

Elena said...

My friend just directed me to your blog. Reading your blog is now my new favorite thing to do when I am supposed to be working. Thanks!

Aaron Barnhart said...

Now why don't I get interesting misdials like this? My drop-ins are the boring kind, like the calls from friends who have me in their address books and just sat on their phone awkwardly (since my name starts with A-A, it happens a lot!).

And then there is the mystery 818 number that calls me sometimes 10 times a week. Bring me the head of this caller.

Anyway, kudos to you for making lemonade out of these lemons.