Wednesday, November 5, 2008

FWD: FWD: Early voting has Obama in the lead but that will change when white people get out of work.
from a 724 phone number, Tuesday, November 4, 4:42 PM

It's not clear to me whether 724 thought this was a GOOD thing or a BAD thing. Was he exhorting Leila to go out and vote for Obama because, while it seemed like he was winning at the tim, he would not be able to keep that lead for much longer? Or was 724 telling Leila not to worry; while it seemed like Obama was ahead, really, he would start to lose soon and it would all be okay? I'm inclined to think the latter, just because the phrase "when white people get out of work" might imply that 724 thinks black people don't work, they just sit around watching TV and voting all day. I don't know. Is this text racist or not?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seeing as how it implies that black people don't work it seems pretty racist to me.

Sof said...

Strikes me as incredibly racist.

Anonymous said...

Considering the two fwd's, I'd say it's organized racism. Leila got texted by the KKK!!!